“In as much as detoxification of the body is of the greatest importance, especially in the beginning, it is absolutely necessary to administer frequent enemas, day and night (on the average, we give coffee enemas every four hours, day and night, and even more frequently against severe pain, nausea, general nervous tension and depression) …
Some patients take enemas every two hours, or even more frequently, during the first days of the treatment. More advanced cases are severely intoxicated and the absorption of the tumor masses, glands, etc., intoxicates them even more. Many years ago I lost several patients by coma hepaticum, since I did not know, and therefore neglected, the vital importance of frequent and regularly continued elimination of poisonous substances, with the help of juices, enemas, etc.”
—-Dr Max Gerson, M.D. (A Cancer Therapy) “Some metabolic therapists insist on daily enemas, including coffee enemas (excellent detoxifiers of the liver) in order to cleanse the system..”
—–Dr Harold W Harper, MD ( How You Can Beat the Killer diseases 169)
Coffee contains substances called chloretics which increase toxin excretion via the bile. The coffee enema is probably the only pharmaceutically active chloretic compound that may be safely administered several times a day without toxic effects. Severe coffee allergics may be unable to benefit from this. It was recognized by Dr Max Gerson (founder of the Gerson Institute) that coffee enemas are effective in stimulating the liver enzymes called the glutathione-S-transferase system, which is vital for detoxification. Increased activity of these enzymes confers powerful antioxidant properties, good for breaking down carcinogenic substances. The chloretics open the bile ducts (like opening the drains) and then the glutathione-S-transferase system throws out all the unwanted junk and poisons.
A coffee enema is administered as follows.
- Add 3 teaspoonsful of fresh ground organic coffee (not instant or decaffeinated) to 2 pints (1.3 litres) of distilled water (available from the pharmacy). Boil for 5 minutes, to drive off the oils. Then cover it and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Strain through gauze or a typical plastic coffee filter and allow to cool to body temperature. Put this in the enema bag. Hang the bag at about standing head height.
- Then lie down. Lubricate and insert the nozzle, several inches (well beyond the rectal canal). Open the stop cock and allow the liquid to drain very slowly into your intestines. Relax and breath slowly while this takes place.
- Try to take the whole bag and retain for around 15 minutes. If you feel spasms or unpleasant symptoms, close the stop cock or if there isn’t one, simply lower the bag to the floor. Wait for half a minute and then try again.
- Immediate symptoms of headache, fever, nausea, intestinal spasms and drowsiness generally indicate the flushing of toxins. Increase the frequency if this happens. If you wake with a headache and drowsiness, this could mean withdrawal symptoms. Try an extra enema last thing at night.
- IMPORTANT: After the last enema at night you need to inject via your rectum about 50mls. of cold-pressed sunflower seed oil, flaxseed oil or similar, to line your intestines and protect the mucus membranes.
- Keep all equipment clean but sterility is not required.